HRCP New Motor Carrier Application Process
In order to expedite your approval, please follow the steps below so we can better serve you and eliminate delays in the process. Please note this will not affect existing motor carrier partners that are in good standing with HRCP.
- Obtain SCAC from www.nmfta.org
Applicants should be prepared to provide their DOT# and additional information as required. There is a fee associated with obtaining a SCAC.
- Become a member of the UIIA at www.uiia.org Applicants should be prepared to provide their SCAC, DOT#, Federal Tax ID#, and additional information as required. There is a fee associated with UIIA membership.
- Must meet the minimum insurance requirements for HRCP II (see FAQ for details).
PHASE I: Application
- Complete and submit HRCP II credit application and completed W-9 form to firstname.lastname@example.org
All line items on the credit application are required. Submitting an incomplete credit application will be rejected.
Blank forms are available for download on the POV website. Application will not be reviewed until the notarized guaranty has been received.
**Any fees incurred will not be refunded in the event that credit with the port has been denied. Approval notification may take up to 7 business days (this is pending response time from credit references).
PHASE II: Approved
- Obtain TWIC card at www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic There is a fee associated with obtaining a TWIC card.
- Business owner(s) will receive the HRCP II Interchange Agreement to sign. This is a requirement.
- Motor carrier will receive an invitation to join PortChassis. Invitation will be sent to the contact person that was provided on the credit application. You will be instructed to create a password and complete the registration process.
PHASE III: Post-Approval
Questions regarding the credit application process should be directed to POV Collections at email@example.com
***Motor carriers who are found not to be in good standing with HRCP may be required to complete an application and/or remit a security deposit. This is at the discretion of the Virginia Port Authority.
How to Access Port of Virginia Facilities – Motor Carriers
Are you new to the Trucking community? Do you plan on hauling containers in and out of Port of Virginia facilities? If so, please follow these necessary steps:
- Apply for a SCAC (Standard Carrier Alpha Code) – a unique four-letter code used to identify transportation companies. Please visit: https://www.nmfta.org/ to apply.
- Create an UIIA account. An UIIA (Uniform Intermodal Interchange and Facilities Access Agreement) membership is required to access our terminals. The UIIA is a standard industry contract between Motor Carriers and Equipment providers. It covers liability and other issues related to the interchange on Intermodal Equipment- containers, chassis, etc. between the two parties. To become a member, please visit uiia.org.
- All drivers are required to obtain a Port Identification and TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card. To enroll for a TWIC card please visit: https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
- We are moving away from port ID Forms. You should use the following link http://register.portofvirginia.com/, to register your company or get a port ID. In order to obtain a port I.D. card, please visit Port I.D. Office – Online Appointments in order to make a reservation. Note, your TWIC PIN number is required. If you have any questions please contact the ID office at 757 440-4032.
- PRO-PASS RFID tags will be required to access the terminal. Transcore RFID tags will no longer be supported. PRO-PASS RFID tags can be ordered through the PRO-PASS website – www.propassva.com. PRO-PASS RFID tags can be shipped to you directly or can be picked up at the NIT or VIG Driver’s Assistance Buildings with a confirmation email. Note, RFID tags must also be registered within PRO-PASS to the corresponding license plate and can take up to 45 minutes to fully process.
- Reservation(s) are required Monday – Friday, during the mandatory reservation period.
- A TWIC without a Port ID will only be given 5 unescorted visitor passes. Access will be denied after your fifth visit without a Port ID card. There will be NO exceptions.